Friday, September 2, 2011

It Begins...



   After nearly a year of house hunting it is finally happening! We are buying a house! I never imagined it would take this long to find the house of our dreams and then actually come to an agreement with the sellers. We've had several close calls over the past 6 months but for some reason it always fell through. In fact it looked like it was going to fall through with this house as well. We were down to the wire; a few hours before the end of our option period, trying to haggle over a few thousand dollars for repair work. Right as we were writing up a higher offer we got a call that the sellers finally came around to negotiating, and then and there it finally fell into place. Mike called me while I was at work; on one of the busiest shopping days of the year nonetheless, and excitedly told me "We're buying a house!!" Of course I started jumping up and down ecstatically in a store full of people.
   We had high hopes for this one. Not only is it in the neighborhood that we love (and had put offers on 2 other houses just blocks away), it is also only 2 houses away from our friends who were delighted at the possibility of us moving to their 'hood. I spotted the listing for the house only hours after it hit the market and as fate had it we were meeting with our agent to see it just a few hours later. Finally the opportunity we had been searching for: not only were we the first people to see the house, it was also priced low because it needed "updating". At last there was a seller who was oblivious to the charm and popularity of mid century homes and priced it cheap to sell fast!

    I've been a huge fan of mid century blogs for a few years now. It all started when I found Retro Renovation and since then I have been obsessed with the idea of buying and restoring a mid century home back to it's glory days. We've lived in an apartment for the past 4 years since moving to Austin and therefore I've been able to collect very little due to space constraints. Our closets are already bursting at the seams without me coming home with loads of vintage goodies! I've still been able to pick up a few great mid century pieces, my favorite being our bedroom set I found on Craigslist. 2 dressers, a highboy and 2 nightstands: black with tapered legs and what I think is a white melamine top. It needs some touch up paint; which hasn't happened due to a lack of a work space, but it's definitely on the 'to-do' list once we get in the house.

   Now that I have a house of my own I've decided to stop just reading and start writing a chronicle of my own adventures in home ownership! I have become a complete shopaholic over the past several weeks in anticipation of decorating the house. Our closing date isn't until September 21 and I am so anxious to get in there I am compensating by buying everything I can get my greedy retro loving little hands on. Next time I'll post all about my new goodies...

No comments:

Post a Comment